WE NEED YOUR HELP!
|Two years ago we embarked on a project to improve the softball field conditions at the WCASA Sports Complex. Fundraising for this project has included raffle tickets, tournaments and slight registration increases amongst the leagues. We also received a generous donation from the Kelly Family of Kelly Sports. As we looked into the issues related to the fields, we found more and more things that desperately needed repair. After a great deal of research, we sent the project out to bid and were surprised at the cost that this project entails. We have raised approximately $60,000 and the project requires more than $300,000 to complete. Some of the major focuses of this project include:
More information for this project can be found HERE.
- Rebuilding the infields from scratch and laying down a stone base and a better infield mixture
- Installing a turf collar the stretches from on deck circle to on deck circle which will help with drainage
- Building a retaining wall to block dirt from leaving the fields
- Installing safety tubing on top of all low fences to prevent injuries
- Raising the fence on the Upper Field to combat sun glare to pitchers and infielders
- Extending infield and adding 70’ bases for future ASA regulations
- Aerating the outfields on both fields to help with drainage
- Rebuilding the outfields to allow water to run off the field
- Installing clay bricks in the batter’s box, pitcher’s mound and around the bases to help prevent holes
We need your help! This year we were fortunate when Kevin O’Keefe and Jason Smith offered their help. Kevin and Jason play in nearly all of our adult softball leagues. Kevin has taken control of the fundraising aspect of the project, something he has many years of experience with. However, this is definitely NOT a one person job. Kevin has a list of over 800 businesses in West Chester alone and needs help in contacting all these business to solicit donations to the project. Kevin is looking for a committee of 10-20 people to help us accomplish our fundraising goals.
As much as we enjoy playing on the best fields in the area, if there is anything the last week of rain has proven is that we need to start making repairs to our fields to help make them even better. Player safety is a huge focus of this project so this affects everyone that plays in any league at Westtown. So instead of expecting other people to step up, PLEASE consider offering some of your free time to help us out. If you’re not comfortable with cold calling, there are many other things that the committee needs done. The more, the merrier and the quicker this project will be completed. If we can get 20 people to volunteer, we should be able to start moving on at least one of the fields by this Fall.
For more information, please contact Sean Calhoon at email@example.com or Tracy Gordon at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for taking the time to read this!